Monday, November 13, 2006

That's a lot of rainbow in the Holy Land



So after all of that...
The march was changed into a rally at the stadium of the Givat Ram campus of Hebrew university because of the upped security threats after the Gaza attacks last week. This meant that the police at the rally could be scaled down to 3000 from 12000, and the others could ensure that the rest of the country is safe. It's a shame that the march could not happen, but I understand why and I'm proud that a mature and pragmatic decision was made, which was still a compromise and not a defeat, and was still loud, proud and somewhat visible.
There were some speakers, some bands, and a whole lot of revelry. All in all, a good time, though sort of anti-climactic after all of the discussions and violence. I suppose that's a good thing - once in a while, true courage is knowing when to back off a little bit.

I was supposed to go down to the kibbutz right after, as I haven't been there in far too long and I miss it. However, being the smart cookie that I am, I missed the bus by less than 30 seconds, and it was the last bus before Shabbos. So I ended up going back home where my apartment was hosting a big Shabbat dinner anyway, which was a great time. I love the traditional rituals that we often follow when we do Shabbos together, but this time it was fantastic for me to be able to lead kiddush without making anyone uncomfortable. The rest of the weekend was lovely - sleep-filled and lazy, until back to the grind ... though not so much of a grind.

I had an interesting day at work today (at the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees). I was doing some researcg, investigating the validity of claims about certain events and people. I was focusing on Nigeria, and particularly on the movement to free Biafra, which is an issue that I am somewhat familiar with but not deeply. I'm pretty sure that after three hours of that I can now write a policy paper. It was also so satisfying to find the one date I'd been looking for after over an hour of chasing possible keywords and non-verifiable links.

Will (one of my suitemates) and I upped our prank-ish war today, as the fisticuffs included chapstick. Needless to say, my face is still tingling, but I'm looking forward to Will trying to clean his teeth tonight what with a litte surprise on his brush. I need to really up the game after his shower prank. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

No comments: